By Sarah Barr, Business Development Manager
UNPLUGGED. This is the best word to describe my past week. I just returned from a week vacation in Jamaica. It was such an enjoyable time, largely because I opted to “disconnect” from the rest of world and be present on my vacation. I can tell you my husband appreciated first hand my opted digital detox.
Smartphones are a great source to access boarding passes or are a helpful way to research excursions, restaurants, and things to do in an area. But they can also leave us constantly connected in our daily lives. You worked so hard at saving money, earning valuable time off, and planning your vacation, so why is it always so difficult to fully unplug and enjoy that break from your busy life?
Enjoy these 5 Tips on how to enjoy an unplugged, digital detox while on vacation:
- Turn your phone on airplane mode. As soon as I get on the airplane my phone immediately goes into airplane mode and doesn’t get turned on until we return to the airport. Don’t worry, you’re still able to take photos with your phone!
- Turn off any unnecessary notifications. I understand there are certain situations that may not allow you to put your phone into airplane mode, and that’s okay. Opt to “turn off” any unnecessary notifications such as emails, stock market and news updates, and log out of social media sites so your phone isn’t constantly binging or glowing with info.
- Social Media can wait! It’s amazing how much we miss with a blink of an eye because we have our heads buried into our laps curious about what our friends are up to on social media. Imagine the endless possibilities that exist if we could just be present in the moment. You may get to enjoy a great conversation with your spouse or partner, a beautiful sunset, meeting some new friends from around the world, or heck you may even find yourself learning some new moves with a reggae dance class!
- Spoiler Alert: We all have that friend who posts everything they are doing every second of every day on social media. Save your pictures for when you return from vacation to show people what you experienced while away. They honestly can wait to see what you ate, places you discovered and friends you made along the way.
- It’s YOUR Vacation! Remember to take time for you! Give yourself the full break you deserve, mentally and physically, from your busy day-to-day life responsibilities. By doing so your family and everyone else around you will appreciate it. When you return you’ll be refreshed, mentally sharper, and more creative than ever!
Make sure to create steps ahead of time, like wrapping up any projects or assigning them to others to handle while your away. Create a clear out of office message so people know you’ll be completely unavailable during the duration of your trip, and make sure to leave info for the appropriate contact person to be in touch with while you’re gone. Leave extra time in your schedule to get caught up with messages when you return to ensure your mind will be at ease while away.
By following these tips and creating these steps ahead of time, you’ll be able to mentally unplug, recharge, and enjoy every second of your vacation. Now what are you waiting for? Put that phone down, get out there, and go EXPLORE!